Senior Research and Development Manager
Diamond Foods is an innovative packaged food company focused on building and energizing brands including Kettle® Chips, Emerald® snack nuts, Pop Secret® popcorn, and Diamond of California® nuts. Diamond’s products are distributed in a wide range of stores where snacks and culinary nuts are sold. For more information visit our corporate web site: www.diamondfoods.com.
This position supports Research and Development (R&D) initiatives by managing the R&D aspects of innovation projects that support one of two category business units. Responsibilities include development and management of project timelines and milestones, supervision of R&D staff, and execution of product design and development work. This position participates on product teams and conducts technical work within guidelines of project scope, budget and timelines.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- R&D project management: develop and execute R&D project plans and allocate and manage R&D staff against projects to successfully execute NPD timeline milestones.
- Supervise and develop food scientists and technologists on the category R&D team.
- Lead fast track and club business R&D projects for swift execution.
- Act as a subject matter expert regarding formulation, food manufacturing processes, and R&D best practices.
- Act as NPD/GSM software subject matter expert, super-user, and trainer.
- Perform managerial tasks as needed:
- Create new prototypes for R&D initiatives, including formulation and ingredient sourcing.
- Designs and executes experiments to meet project objectives..
- Assists in planning and facilitation of in-house and contracted sensory testing and reporting, including management of sensory panel samples and standards.
- Plans, coordinates and executes production tests to successfully meet project objectives.
- Accurately records, analyzes and reports data to meet project objectives.
- Supports label development
- Develop product specifications and parameters, including supplier identification.
- Coordinates 3rd party laboratory testing and reports results
- Contribute to development and management of R&D budget
- Coordinate and report labor and materials for budgetary tracking and planning
- Monitor competitor products and development activities
- Adhere to GMP’s , Standard Operating Procedures, and Safety Regulations consistently.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Extensive food product formulation and manufacturing experience
- Supervision and team development experience
- Experience utilizing and/or implementing new product development and specification management software
- Interpersonal and team skills for working with employees at all levels within the company
- Leadership and proactive attitude in approaching technical solutions to business and market issues.
- Project management experience
- Strong presentation skills
- Frequent overnight travel to support R&D project priorities
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products, statistical and nutritional software
- Perform tasks with a high level of confidentiality
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team to accomplish organization goals
- Able to take and interpret direction competently and professionally
- Ability to build on other’s ideas
- Manage priorities and dynamic deadlines
- Flexible and positive in a fast-paced business environment
- Efficient time management and communication
- Strong knowledge of food safety programs, HACCP plan management, and Good Manufacturing Practices
- Knowledge of standards and regulatory issues related to Kosher, Organic, nutritional labeling, and food recalls
- Excellent understanding of quality control and quality assurance methods and standards
- Technical writing and effective communication skills
- Manage priorities and dynamic deadlines
- Ability to work in accordance with safety and food safety policies
- Work in an environment with medium level safety risks.
- Work unusual hours as required to accomplish job tasks.
- Effective English language literacy; oral and written communication skills
- Physical Requirements include:
- Exposed frequently to an environment with high levels of seasoning dust and fumes, heat, humidity and moving machinery.
- Frequent sitting and repetitive motion with hands with dexterity to key board.
- Occasional standing, walking, and talking.
- Infrequent climbing, stooping, bending, reaching and turning/twisting.
- Infrequent lifting of up to 50 pounds.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science and Technology and 10 years of progressively responsible R&D experience in a food manufacturing company.
- Supervisory experience
To apply please send resume to: email@example.com">firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com">firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com, or visit our website at: www.diamondfoods.com for more information.
Diamond Foods is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability. Pre-employment drug testing and background check required.
Diamond Foods Inc. does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Diamond Foods will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Diamond Foods, Inc.