Diamond Foods is an innovative packaged food company focused on building and energizing brands including Kettle® Chips, Emerald® snack nuts, Pop Secret® popcorn, and Diamond of California® nuts. Diamond’s products are distributed in a wide range of stores where snacks and culinary nuts are sold. For more information visit our corporate web site: www.diamondfoods.com.
This position supports Research and Development (R&D) initiatives by supporting product development projects from concept to commercialization. Responsibilities include formulation of new products, conducting product testing, preparing R&D samples and supporting plant trials. This position reports to the Senior Food Scientist with dotted line reporting to supervising Food Scientists.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create prototypes and execute experiements to support R&D evaluations.
- Participate in production tests to successfully meet project objectives.
- Accurately records, analyzes and reports data to meet project objectives.
- Monitor competitor products and development activities.
- Perform product quality testing
- Manage R&D sample documents
- Assist in facilitation of in-house and contracted sensory testing, including management of sensory panel samples and standards; and set up, clean up, and support sensory evaluation meetings
- Coordinate organization, storage of equipment/materials and clean up of R&D facilities
- Perform various administrative duties, such as sample management, data entry, and shipping
- Occasional overnight travel
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Adhere to GMP’s, Standard Operating Procedures, and Safety Regulations consistently.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Working within a laboratory environment
- Working knowledge of food manufacturing, quality and food safety systems, sanitation, allergens, SOP’s and safety protocols
- Effective computer skills using MS Office products
- Able to accept and interpret direction competently and professionally
- Able to perform tasks independently and as part of a team to accomplish goals.
- Effectively manage priorities and dynamic deadlines
- Self motivated, flexible and positive in a fast-paced business environment
- Efficient time management and communication
- Occasional overnight travel to support R&D project priorities.
- Problem-solving and analytical skills
- Data collection and analysis skills
- Food science knowledge
- Ability to build on other’s ideas
- Technical writing and effective communication skills
- Flexible and positive in a fast-paced business environment
- Ability to work in accordance with safety and food safety policies
- Interpersonal and team skills for working with employees at all levels within the company
- Physical Requirements include:
- Exposed frequently to an environment with high levels of seasoning dust and fumes, heat, humidity and moving machinery.
- Frequent sitting and repetitive motion with hands with dexterity to key board.
- Occasional standing, walking, and talking.
- Infrequent climbing, stooping, bending, reaching and turning/twisting.
- Infrequent lifting of up to 50 pounds.
- Able to maintain a high level of confidentialityWork in an environment with medium level safety risks.
- Work unusual hours as required to accomplish job tasks.
- Effective English language literacy; oral and written communication skills
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science and Technology and 1 year of experience in food manufacturing.
- Salty snack, and non-GMO project experience preferred.
To apply please send resume to: email@example.com">firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com, or visit our website at: www.diamondfoods.com for more information.
Diamond Foods is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability. Pre-employment drug testing and background check required.