Regulatory Affairs Manager
Diamond Foods is an innovative packaged food company focused on building and energizing brands including Kettle Brand potato chips, Diamond of California culinary nuts, Emerald snack nuts, and Pop Secret popcorn. The Company’s products are distributed in a wide range of retail partners in North America as well as Europe and wholesale partners in 100 countries. The company’s stock trades on NASDAQ under the symbol DMND.
This position will be the in-house subject matter expert for the Regulatory discipline within Diamond Foods. He/she will be responsible for translating regulatory requirements into business solutions as well as proactively ensuring that the company is current and compliant with all regulatory guidelines related to ingredients, formulations and communications including labeling, nutritional claims and marketing/sales materials. The scope of this role includes providing regulatory support throughout the innovation process, as well as keeping the company abreast of new regulations and their implications. The person will work with cross-functional teams comprised of Marketing, Innovation, R&D, QA, Purchasing and Legal, and report to the VP of Research, Development and Innovation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provide regulatory expertise and guidance to support the design and commercialization of innovation including impact of any changes to current formulations
- Review raw material and ingredient compositions for regulatory conformity based on industry guidelines / international restrictions
- Participate in the design of new product launches by providing regulatory expertise on product formulation, package design, labeling, and claims development including mandatory nutrition labeling, health claims, nutrient content claims, ingredient declaration and allergen labeling
- Create final Nutritional facts panel and ingredient statements for artwork and communications
- Review and approve regulatory/nutrition components of final packaging artwork, label copy, advertising, promotional, and educational materials, press releases, and research concepts for substantiation and compliance.
Champion the regulatory discipline with internal functions and external partners
- Be at the forefront of regulatory changes
- Proactively understand and interpret regulatory trends (food processing, ingredients, formulations, labeling/claims) and develop point of view on impact to Diamond
- Perform literature searches, regulatory reviews and attend regulatory meetings to assure up-to-date compliance with regulations
- Perform assessments and develop proactive and pre-emptive plans as it pertains to emerging trends and findings
- Be the regulatory subject matter expert for internal departments
- Review website and advertising material for conformance with all pertinent laws and regulations as well as relevant certification requirements, including Kosher and Organic
- Assist cross-functional teams (e.g. R&D, QA, Marketing) in addressing packaging compliance issues (i.e. common name restrictions, claim restrictions, etc.)
- Provide support to Marketing, Consumer Affairs and Sales on product and labeling questions
- Provide regulatory guidance on company position statements Advise the company on international regulatory requirements in order to comply with import and export requirements
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITES:
- Excellent knowledge of North American regulations and requirements (FDA/NAFTA/CFIA)
- Ability to solve or seek out answers in order to provide guidance on regulatory matters including international regulations
- Expertise in identifying and solving complex regulatory issues.
- Able to clearly articulate complex regulations in a simple, focused manner to internal stakeholders
- Excellent knowledge of Genesis software
- Experience in supporting food product development and commercialization
- Strong knowledge of the natural foods and organic food industry
- Knowledge of nutritional science and Manufacturing know-how a plus
- High level of strategic thinking, intellectual curiosity and problem solving skills; Strong bias for action
- Able to collaborate successfully with cross-functional teams in a highly matrixed environment
- Analytical and detail oriented
- Must be able to travel 20%
- Manage priorities and dynamic deadlines
- Flexible and positive in a fast-paced business environment
- Efficient time management and communication
- Ability to work in accordance with safety and food safety policies
- Perform tasks with a high level of confidentiality
- Work in an environment with medium level safety risks.
- Work unusual hours as required to accomplish job tasks.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products
- Effective English language literacy; oral and written communication skills
- Interpersonal and team skills for working with employees at all levels within the company
- Physical Requirements include:
- Exposed frequently to an environment with high levels of seasoning dust and fumes, heat, humidity and moving machinery.
- Frequent sitting and repetitive motion with hands with dexterity to key board.
- Occasional standing, walking, and talking.
- Infrequent climbing, stooping, bending, reaching and turning/twisting.
- Infrequent lifting of up to 50 pounds.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- BS in Food Science, Quality Assurance, Nutrition or related field required
- 5+ years or more experience in Food industry in regulatory role required; minimum 3 years hands-on experience working directly on food labeling
To apply please send resume to: email@example.com">firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com, or visit our website at: www.diamondfoods.com for more information.
Diamond Foods is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability. Pre-employment drug testing and background check required.
Diamond Foods Inc. does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Diamond Foods will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Diamond Foods, Inc.